Tuesday 2 July 2013

Week 1 of No-Poo

While looking for natural homemade shampoos I came across the idea of going "no-poo" meaning going shampoo free.  The basic premise is that our hair was just dandy in the many years of human history that preceeded the invention of shampoo and that shampooing every day and striping hair with chemicals and detergents, then using more to condition and style, is damaging and "unhealthy."

"No-pooers" do not use shampoo but clean hair when needed with something like baking soda and then rinsing with vinegar.  Regular shampooers can now go days without cleaning their hair as their scalp and hair learn to take care of themselves rather than needing constant intervention. There can be a rocky transition period but converts swear their hair is so much better at the end of it.

I became a convert last year to oil cleansing for my face rather than using drying detergents so why not for toss detergents for my hair too.

But not shampooing??? Eww....???....

Day 1: I almost entirely gave up.  My hair felt gunky and awful.

Day 2: Gunky, gunky, awful, terrible, embarassingly bad hair.  I cleaned it again even though I was going to try to take the day off.

Then.... while googling going no-poo I stumbled across a post talking about the importance of starting no-poo by clarifying your hair.  *Slaps forehead* *Angels sing*

I broke out my Dr. Brommers, lathered up, and rinsed with diluted apple cider vinegar.  Immediately my hair felt clean.

I was able to skip cleaning my hair the following day.  That wash lasted two days but my hair was pretty greasy at the end of it.  I'm now on day two of this last wash and I woke up with still-silky hair that just needed a wet hair brush to tame.  It's like heaven for working moms!

Does this mean I'm now through the "transition" phase??  Hopefully I'm so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment